And still not having the courage to put peanut butter and jelly (jam) together, I decided to go with my other American love- Oreo's.
And so, as a complete easy peasy desert- served in shot glasses to ensure small portions mean no guilt, this is our latest love (to make about 15 shot glasses).
For the base
1 packet Oreos
50g unsalted butter
For the topping
100g cream cheese
100g peanut butter (we used Duerr's)
175mls double cream
50g icing sugar, sifted
For the ganache
225g dark chocolate
125g double cream
1. Open the Oreos, and scrape the filling out. Crush the biscuits, either with a rolling pin, blender or pestle & mortar. (Siften off some of the crushed mix to use as topping).
2. Melt the butter and combine into the Oreo mixture.
3. Create a layer, either in shot glasses, or a flan base, as the base.
4. Flatten and chill in the fridge.
5. Break the chocolate into small pieces, and place in a bowl.
6. Add the double cream into a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
7. Remove from heat and pour the cream onto the chocolate and combine until the chocolate is completely melted.
8. Allow to cool and fill a piping bag.
9. Add the mascarpone and cream cheese to a bowl. Combine with a wooden spoon.
10. Add the peanut butter and combine.
11. In a separate bowl, whisk the double cream to soft peaks.
12. Slowly add and combine the icing sugar.
13. Fold the cream mix into the peanut butter mix.
14. Fill a piping bag with the mixture.
15. Take the shot glasses or flan base from the fridge.
16. Pipe the ganache into each glass/ fill the base.
17. Pipe the cheese filling.
18. Sprinkle Oreo crumbs.
19. You can eat the immediately, or leave to cool in the fridge for a few hours. (I suspect a few hours may have helped. No-one in our home had the patience).